Wednesday, January 19

Headboard

It's time for my second installment in functional art. I suppose this one may not be as blatantly "art," but then again, art is what you make it! One of the simplest projects to beautify a bedroom is to create a new headboard. You can make anything into a headboard. Canvases, a door, books, etc... The opportunities are endless. However, one of the simplest versions only requires a few materials and a staple gun.

The first step is to find out how large you want your board to be and cut it to size, or have the gentlemen at Home Depot do that part for you. Next, add a layer of batting to the entire surface of the board and cover in your fabric of choice. Secure the fabric on the back side of the board using your staple gun. Make sure the fabric is pulled taught. Then, using your staple gun again, staple on the front side where you want your dimples to be. (I'm sure these "dimples" have an official name, but I don't know what it is.) Once the staples are in place, hide all but two with buttons. These two will be used to hang the board on the wall, which is the next step. Once secured, cover the final staples with buttons and your headboard is complete! Sorry I don't have step-by-step instructions for this project, but here's the final product:




I LoVE this headboard, and the project took me all of 90 minutes, if that! The hardest part was getting the giant board home in my Corolla. Make sure you have a large enough vehicle to transport your board... otherwise it can be quite a challenge.

Here are a few more headboards that I think are really great. I especially love the lighted one! I'll probably attempt it one day, at least as some artwork if not a headboard. Though the glow would be awesome!













Like I said, you can make a headboard out of anything. Pretty sure I'll need fifteen bedrooms one day to house all the headboard ideas I have! Or I can just alternate =)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad. Because it's awesome.

1 comment:

  1. This is seriously awesome!!! You did such a great job on this. I want to come see it! Something I would love to see is the cost breakdown of your projects. That way I know what I'm getting into if I want to try something :)

    ReplyDelete